Crescent Lake-Leah White

Normally you would not expect to see a desert and a spring coexist, just as you would not expect oil and water to mix. This is what makes the Crescent Lake so spectacular. As I look across the vast desert, I see a small body of water, shining brightly like a freshly polished piece of silverware. The shape is that of a crescent moon giving it its name. The sun shines on the water, making it appear like a fresh piece of melon, covered in morning dew. The spring is surrounded by enormous dunes of sand, creating an eerie yet peaceful echo. I can feel the sun beating down on my head, leaving my skin with a sun kissed glow. I do not hear much except for the chirp of an occasional bird. The water is a turquoise blue and it dances with every gust of wind.  As I breathe in I can feel the fresh air fill my lungs.

The journey there was quite grueling.  The desert was hot and dry and my feet were scorched from the burning sand.  I walked for hours and hours with no water and my mouth felt dry and parched. I knew the journey would be worth it, but nothing could prepare me for the beauty of this glistening spring. I arrived with a group of about 15 of us and 12 camels. Two of the men stayed behind at the previous camp for they were too sick to walk. We started the journey at midnight in hopes that we would make it to the spring before dawn. We got to the spring a little later than expected but our breath was taken away by  the sight of the glittering waters. Most of the group rushed down the dunes to quench their thirst.  I could not move because I was paralyzed by the placid and calm oasis.  As I started strolling down towards the water to get a drink I noticed that there were more people there that were not from our group. Women danced through the water as they bathed  their children and others were filling up jugs. This was one of the only clean water sources for miles so it was a popular destination for those passing through.

As the night grew nearer, the stars appeared in the mysterious, pitch-black sky. They shined like diamonds and reflected elegantly on the water. This night was especially exciting because the moon was full. It glowed like a luminous orb in a sea of darkness. We set up camp and slept there for the night. It was much more frigid now that the sun was gone so we had to bundle up for warmth. Our camels were tied up next to us, resting for the journey ahead. As I closed my eyes I knew that the slumber would be tranquil and that I would have nothing but sweet dreams.